Saturday, December 1, 2012

First Thanksgiving

Whelp, we did it and lived to tell about it.  Yep, that's right, the Mr and I hosted our First Thanksgiving feast.  We had invited eighteen family members but due to other scheduled meals and sickness not everyone was able to attend.  I was excited, too, because some of my family had not been to our home since we were married last year.  I know, I am horrible.
 
I was worried at first because the whole decision to host kinda came out my mouth before it even registered with the ole noggin.  You know what I mean, those moments when you speak before you think. 
 
I just knew in my heart that something catastrophic would happen and ruin the whole day.  But as always, sweet Jesus, heard my prayers of distress and the entire meal went without a hitch! 
 
It also helped that everyone offered to bring certain items to the meal so not to overwhelm the cook...me!  It was definitely an offer that I quickly accepted!  My dad offered to bring a smoked turkey (I danced a happy dance in my head when he offered.) I was immediately relieved knowing I wouldn't be the demise of the main dish.  
 
On Thanksgiving Eve, I made deviled eggs, mandarin orange cake, my first pumpkin pie, peeled/chopped the potatoes and prepared the cornbread stuffing.  Then the morning of Thanksgiving I put my first ham in the oven, green beans in the crock pot, yeast rolls out to rise, whipped up the mashed potatoes, started the creamed corn, baked the cornbread dressing, baked a Carmel apple pie, and made a pot of coffee.  Oh yeah, I can't forget the can of jellied cranberry sauce, (yep, that's how we do it!) 
 
Before I knew it, it was 11AM and family began to arrive.  The Mister's mother came bearing green bean and broccoli casseroles.  My Dad, Mamaw and aunt arrived with the smoked turkey, sweet potato casserole (my fave), pumpkin pie, zucchini cakes (delicious), coconut cream pie, another pumpkin pie and rolls.  My sister and her husband came in bearing macaroni and cheese, and the Mister's favorite, pumpkin crunch.  My other sister and her husband arrived with pecan and apple pies.  Needless to say, we were not lacking any food!  *ha*
 
After we all ate to our heart's content and stomach's maximum, we enjoyed good conversation, lots of laughs, and watched an episode of Duck Dynasty.
 
My sister has been taking guitar lessons for the past 10 months or so and I hadn't heard her play.  So I asked her to bring her guitar so she could show me her new skills.  I am very proud of her as she is doing really good with her new passion.  After listening to Nancy play a few songs, Mamaw Betty couldn't keep her fingers still.  She was itching to get her hands on Nancy's guitar.  And once she did, it was on. 
 
I pulled out my hymnals and we picked out a couple songs to sing while Mamaw played.  We have "made music" together with Mamaw on the holidays for as far back as I can remember.  It is something special that we enjoy and it is always a blast. 
 
While we were looking for a song to sing, Mamaw began playing one of my absolute f-a-v-o-r-i-t-e songs that I love to hear her sing/play.  I would love to tell you the name of the song, but in all my years, I don't know the name of the song.  I've always called it "T for Texas" although I'm sure it has a more formal name.  it is a song that Mamaw has played forever and she yodels the chorus.  It is positively priceless!
 
After a little bit of pickin' and grinning, everyone began to slowly depart.  At the end of the day, it was a great day, a great experience and a success if I must say so myself.
 
I was sad that my mom, nephew, sister and sister-in-law and her family couldn't be with us for the occasion but we understood that it was for reasons outside of their control.  I am thankful for my family, friends and for what they mean to me and my husband.  They have made us into the people that we are today.  I am thankful that our families get along and  are able to come together for fellowship together. 
 
My prayer is that in the next year we remember to always thank the Lord in the good times as well as the bad and to share His love in all that we do. 
 
And now its time to share some photos, because what's a post without pictures!?!


*Let's eat!*
 
*nom nom*

*more yumminess*
 
*dessert, the best part of the meal*

*my beautiful sister and brother-in-law*
 

*my pumpkin and Carmel apple pies*
 

*My Aunt, Mamaw Betty and Dad*
 
*Nancy pickin' the guitar*

*Hymns of Praise*

*Mamaw Betty Pickin' and Yodelin'* 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!