Monday, September 21, 2009

A Rainy BBQ

I know that we really need the rain that we have been having for the last 2 weeks, but really, it can put a damper on the weekend plans. 

We still went forward with our BBQ dinner last night, regardless of what Mr. Weatherman was saying.  It rained off and on pretty much all day long.

Luckily for me, I had prepared the majority of my sides on Friday evening, or I had at least started the process. 

I had volunteered to make 24 cupcakes for the Kick off of Operation Christmas Child through the Samaritan's Purse.  We gave one cupcake to each person as they left the morning services today.  I was going to put little shoes and purses on the cuppycakes but I didn't feel like getting that serious about it.  To help out, Friday night I baked the cuppycakes and let them cool.  That way all I had to do Saturday morning was ice them and get them out to the church. 

On my way to the church, one of the carriers slid off the seat.  I was able to catch it from falling completely....but the actually cupcakes slid on the inside.  Yeah...I had a couple of sad looking cupcakes, but I was able to salvage them.  O-well.

I helped Matt make his BBQ sauce, let me just say....YUM!  The best BBQ sauce I've ever had.  I was very proud of him. I failed to get a picture of the sauce.

I also made Deviled Eggs.  I had never done this before.  I was very concerned whether or not I had let them boil long enough and was worried that they would be all soupy when I took the shell off.  I cracked open my first egg and to my astonishment it was COMPLETELY DONE!  Boiled perfection.  I was so excited that I kept showing Matt my beautifully boiled eggs.   As for the filling, I actually used one of my cake decorating tips to pipe the mixture into the eggs.  It worked and they looked deli fresh. 
I showcased these beauties on my Southern Living at Home Tuscan Appetizer Tray.  Gorgeous wouldn't you agree?

I also made the tri colored pasta for the Pasta Salad.  Matt helped by chopping the green pepper.  I tossed together with Zesty Italian dressing.  Then put into the fridge for chilling.  Saturday morning I tossed in the cheese cubes.  (You don't want to put the cheese in until the pasta has completely cooled or the cubes will melt.)

The pasta salad looked wonderful in the Southern Living At Home Brio Bowl.  I definitely do not use this bowl enough and I was glad that I was able to put it to good use.
Saturday morning, I made the banana pudding.  YUM!  It was delicious.  I knew it would be, because it is my sister's recipe and it is my favorite.  It was definitely a hit. 

I also made Baked Beans, but failed to get a picture of them.  But they were simple and delicious.  Just take my word for it.

***************************************************************
By noon-ish I was beat and decided to treat myself to a little retail therapy....consignment therapy that is.

First fabulous find, was a SUPER cute yellow sun dress.  I know it's not really the weather to be wearing sun dresses anymore, but still...it will be perfect for next spring/summer! Always thinking ahead.  It was only $6.  I technically got it for free b/c I had credit at the store and was able to purchase it that way. 

Then I found this adorble canister for puppy treats.
I've been looking for something like this to put Birken & Mimi LaRue's doggie treats in.  When I saw this at another consignment store I stopped at, I couldn't help but to purchase it!  It's adorable!
While at Suzie's Savvy seconds, I also purchased a sweet little teal dress.  Perfect for the office.
I then had a much needed visit with my Mamaw and Papaw.  I really enjoyed the hour or so that I was at their house.  They are two very special people.  If you think of it, please keep my Papaw in your prayers, he is simply aging and it is beginning to show.  He would appreciate any prayers that are lifted up on his behalf.

I then went to Cashiers to drop off some of my own consignment pieces at Victoria's Closet. 

I made a quick pit-stop at Buck's Coffee to get the most wonderfully delicious White Chocolate Mocha.  It definitely hit the spot.  Especially since it was still raining pretty steadily and I was slightly chilled.

On to Cashiers I went...I dropped off 2 bags of clothes and I CANNOT wait to get credit at the store so I can go and make some purchases.  I've never saw so many great prices for designer items!  I am stoked and can't wait to go back and actually purchase!
**********************************************************

Then to Tilley Creek to finally meet up with everyone and have some much awaited BBQ. 
Overall, a fantastic feast with fabulous friends and family.

**********************************************************

On a random note, Matt and I have decided to can several jars of his Perfect BBQ Sauce.  It will be a wonderful Christmas/house-warming/thank-you/Birthday/Just-because-you-are-You gift for our friends and family.

***********************************************************

Still to come...pictures from the TeamKid Trip.  Still haven't been able to download those pictures.  I'll post as soon as I get them onto the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!