Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Proposal

Saturday - May 7, 2011

Matt and I had plans with a couple friends of ours to go on a double date to watch a movie.  I was working until 6pm at Humanité in Bryson City; so the plan-making was left to Matt. Due of various things that were going on, the plan was to watch the early showing of Fast Five in Franklin with our friends. This was a great plan, until I realized that the movie started at 7pm and I didn’t get off work until 6pm.  The drive from Bryson City to Franklin is approximately 40-45 minutes so I knew there would be no time for dillydallying. In a mad rush, I got off work, gassed up and met Matt so we could at least ride together to the movie.

On our ride to the theater, I was rambling on about some ridiculous training schedule that I had created for a half-marathon in Savannah, GA. (Note: at the time, I was doing a good job in the  “fitness” world; not so much anymore.)  I told him that I would really like for him to be waiting at the finish line when I crossed.  I was rambling about when we would need to arrive in Savannah for registration, etc.  

By this time we had reached the bottom of the mountain in Franklin.  There was a tent set up for the annual jewelry show, and I stopped my half-marathon gibberish to blurt out: "You know that you can go in there and buy a beautiful diamond for a steal because it is wholesale."  To which I received the typical Matt response "Oh really? Go right ahead and buy yourself one."  We had a little laugh (read: Matt busted my bubble) and then the conversation went back to the race.  We hadn't traveled but about 3 minutes down the road and this is what unfolds:

ME:      We will need to be in Savannah by 6pm on November 4th so that I can get registered for the race. Do you think you will...?

MATT: [Interrupted by Matt as he is digging in the center console] I have a random question.  Do you have a date?

ME:       [I look at him wondering if he had been paying any attention to anything I had said.] A date for what, the race? Yes, had you been listening to me you would have heard me say that it was November 5th in Savannah, GA. What do you mean do I have a date?

MATT: [grinning like the Cheshire cat he hands me a red velvet box asking again] Do you have a date?

ME:       [grabbing the box and looking at him as if he has seven heads] What? What is this? You are crazy. [As I open the box I see a beautiful ring, realizing that’s why he asked me if I had a date.]

I state matter-of-factly, you are a jerk who has lost his mind and no I don't have a date for a wedding. [Things slowly began making sense and I proceeded to ask if he was serious and told him he was crazy, again.  I might have even called him a butthead.] 

MATT: [still grinning like the Cheshire cat, I think he was enjoying my crazed monologue]

ME:       [holding the box and petting the ring as if it were a small kitten.] Is this a joke? If it is, it’s VERY cruel.

MATT: I assure you, it's no joke.

ME:       [I begin to cry because I am literally in shock] I was not expecting this at all. Did you ask my Daddy?

MATT: Yes, but I've not said anything since I originally asked him. [Note: Matt asked my Daddy for permission to marry me 3 years, 7 months, 1 week and 1 day ago…but who’s counting.]

ME:       [Still petting the ring.   Dumbfounded, I would glance at Matt, the ring, and then out the window in disbelief.]

MATT: You didn't answer my question.

ME:       Yes, I did. I answered the ONLY question in which you asked me. You asked me if I had a date and I stated that I did not have a date.

MATT: [There’s the Cheshire cat grin accompanied by flushed cheeks] Oh yeah. Will you marry me?

ME:       [I simply close the ring box, place it inside the protection of my purse, sit back up in the seat, clasp my hands together and look out the window.]  I respond by saying: I'm not really sure; I'm going to need some time to think about this.

ME:       [Although I didn't look at Matt, I could feel his bubble bursting and all the air deflating his dreams.  I kept my serious face all of about 3 seconds when I burst into laughter] OF COURSE I WILL MARRY YOU!

MATT:
Well, aren't you going to put the ring on?

ME:       Yes.  Yes, I will.

We had about 10 minutes before we arrived at the theater and I had to call my mom and tell her.  So I called her and told her all about it really fast.  Being that it had been so long since Matt had asked my dad for permission, my parents were as shocked as I was.

As we were walking into the theater, I took a quick picture of the ring and sent it to my sisters/immediate family so they could be one of the firsts to know.  By the time it was all said and done, both of our families were very excited for us.  Our moms both said it was the best Mother’s Day present they could get. 

The entire proposal was literally something out of left field, but I wouldn’t change a thing about it.  I don’t believe I could have been happier than at that very moment.   I had waited for this for so long and finally had put it in the Lord’s hand to take care of however He saw fit.  I always knew in my heart it would happen and Matt assured me that “one day” he would marry me.  I was tickled pink that my "One Day" finally transpired.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    I remember that day well. You were so happy and excited. I felt that way for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this walk down memory lane! Thank you for letting us peek into your story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!