Friday, May 21, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Due to my crazy events and trips I decided to take in December plus being involved in the Gift of Christmas program at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts, I didn't have a lot of time to do ANY Christmas shopping.

The weekend I had free, I had planned to get the majority of it done, but NOOOOOOOOOO it came a messy snow and I refused to drive anywhere in it. 

Christmas Eve, I had to do ALL of my shopping.  I was so stressed.  I always do a little last minute shopping on Christmas Eve (I mean, who doesn't??)  Otherwise, everything is wrapped, under the tree and ready to go.  Not so much for this Christmas.

I met Natasha & McKenzie (SIL & niece) and we headed out early Christmas Eve morning.  I had a list of exactly what I needed.  We left around 8am.  Being that we had a 3 year old with us on possibly the busiest shopping day of the year, I had to do a little bribing.  (sorry, it was a necessity).  We were at the mall in Asheville and I knew that we had lots of places to hit up and she was so not going to be happy with all the walking and wandering around.  So I told her that if she was super good and allowed us to go to the places we needed to go, that she could jump on the trampoline.  You would have thought that Christmas came a day early! 

McKenzie was a trooper and allowed us to do what we needed to do.  Before we left I took her to the trampoline and she was so very excited.  She wasn't the least bit scared.  She was jumping and laughing and giggling.  I forgot my camera so I didn't have it with me to get photos. 

We had a late lunch at the Olive Garden then went a couple more stores and headed back home.  I dropped Tasha & McK off at home but I still had some other things to do as well....so I finished those up.

A christmas eve tradition is to go to my Mamaw & Papaw's house. There isn't a set time that we go, we just filter in and out all day long.  Which helps them b/c the day passes quicker with family and friends around.  I pulled into their drive around 7:30pm - I didn't even get a chance to go home...I was pooped!  Almost 12 full hours of shopping will wear a girl out!!!

I had a great visit with family at Mamaw's house, but then the dread of knowing what was in my car that still needed to be wrapped was laying heavy on my mind.  So wished everyone a Merry Christmas and went the 100' up the hill to my house. 

I stayed up until almost 2am wrapping Christmas presents.  Whew.  But I finally got it all done and crashed in the bed.  It did not take long for sugar plums to dance in my head!

Christmas Morning

Matt met me at the cabin and he opened his stocking (actually it was more of a bag b/c none of it would fit in his stocking).  We packed all the gifts up and then headed to Natasha's house first.

When we got there we were greeted by a still sleepy Mckenzie - who was still trying to open her gift from Santa Clause. 
Still so sleepy.
Playing with Strawberry Shortcake's house.
Matt & Natasha
McKenzie and me.
Matt & Gizmo (photo by McKenzie)

After we opened gifts from each other and played for a bit.  Natasha and her parents fixed breakfast for Matt and I.  It was so nice and we really enjoyed the time we were able to spend together on Christmas morning.   After breakfast, Matt and I gathered our goodies and headed over to my parent's house to spend time with them.
Mom's Christmas tree and table of gifts.

Matt and I hadn't been there but a few minutes when Alisha, Parker, Lucas & Evelyn came.  Then shortly behind them came Nancy & Brandon.  So we were all together....amongst the chaos of flying shreds of wrapping paper and squeals of delight.
Evelyn opening her tea set.
Lucas is excited.
Dad wearing Lucas' fireman hat.

Lucas has a fascination with anything spiderman.  While Christmas shopping, Matt and I happened upon a Spiderman costume for boys.  (I guess it is the boy's verison of dress up clothes for girls.)  Anyway, I thought it was grand and I knew Lucas would love us forever and think we were the coolest....so I purchased it.  I knew he would be pleased with the gift, but I didn't realize the seriousness of this gift.

He opened the gift.  Realized what it was.  Ran to his "bedroom" at mom's house and put it on.  He came out looking like this:


He was so excited.  He replied as he took of the mask, "I'm wearing this to school!"  (ut-oh).  But luckily for my sister, Lucas was out of school for a week or so, so by the time he went back - he forgot about wearing the costume. 
Evelyn & Parker
Lucas as a Spiderman Fireman.
I caught Daddy laughing.  I love this photo!
Lucas helping mom open her gifts.
Lucas & Matt Matt.
Brandon & Nancy

I have no idea why I do not have any photos of Alisha.  I know she was there and I was pretty sure I had taken some of her and the kids opening gifts, but apparently I am wrong. 

After spending time at my parent's house.  We had to travel over the mountain to Jackson Co to see Matt's family.  We had a Christmas dinner and opened gifts with Sam, Michelle, Michael, Kristy, Alannah, and Luke.  Again, I'm not sure why I do not have any photos of Matt's family, next year I will strive to do much better!

Later Christmas night, we drove to the Ashe's where we swapped gifts as well.  Matt also let the cat out of the bag on Travis as he was trying to open his gift.  Oh boy. 

At the end of the day, Christmas was absolutely fantastic in every way.  I enjoyed spending time with family and wonderful friends.  And as always, I am grateful that the Lord chose to send His only Son to be born, only to die for yours and my sins. 

What an Awesome & Mighty God we serve!

1 comment:

  1. What great memories!! Makes me start worrying about shopping for Christmas NEXT year already! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!