A friend of mine has started a "21 Goals in 12 Months for 2010" challenge that I have joined. I have NEVER been good at keeping New Year's resolutions and the idea of having to meet 21 goals throughout this next year scares me quite a bit. However, I'm not putting any pressure on myself.
I know that most people say resolutions, but I believe that I am going to change it to “Promise”. I always feel bad if I break a promise, so I believe it will only aid in my ability to accomplish my goals for this year. :0) At least I hope so!
My Promises for 2010.
1. Have more Passion about my life. I’ve posted about this before here. I’ve had Passion as a “resolution” before and I would like to make it a lifelong promise, not just a yearly promise. I need to focus on enjoying the moments instead of rushing through everything.
2. Have at least one date night with Matt per month without anyone tagging along with us. We are always doing things with other individuals/couples. Although it is fun and we do enjoy ourselves; we need a “date” to ourselves every once in a while.
3. Make prayer a higher priority. Here again, I want this to be a lifelong promise.
4. Play the piano more often. I’ve always enjoyed playing but have slacked off over the years. Playing has always been a stress reliever for me. I need to get back in the habit of playing even if “just for fun.”
5. Go back to school. I really want to get my Masters in School Psychology....it will take me a bit but I can do it. I do not expect to get my Masters in a year....I just want to be enrolled and in classes this year.
6. Lose 40 pounds. I honestly believe this is do-able and I’m ready to start ASAP.
7. Read more often.
8. Build my savings account.
9. Be more forgiving of others who I may have been holding a grudge.
10. Spend more time in the evening without the laptop on my lap.
11. Focus more on the positive and less on the negative.
12. Utilize the library more.
13. Start a new hobby and actually stick with it! I would love to do more in photography. Maybe I'll try taking a class or two to learn a little more about it.
14. Journal more.
15. Leave work at work.
16. Cook more. I love to cook. I do not like to do a lot of cooking b/c its only myself. Its hard to cook for one. I would sort of like to try a fun little experiment like in Julie & Julia. We’ll see how this goes.
17. Try not to talk on the phone so much while I am driving!
18. Wear a pair of shorts. (This might seem silly but those who know me well know that I never, ever wear shorts. Ever! Even in the heat of summer, I don’t wear them to sleep in, I do not wear them. Period.)
19. Breathe more, stress/freak-out less.
20. Complete at least 3 5K races. I'm not picky if I walk or run...I just want to complete on. I actually completed a 5K this past fall. I really enjoyed it. However, I did not beat my personal goal I set, that's ok though. I came in only 1:46 longer than I had hoped. Better next time.
21. Last year I resolved to say "No" more often. I know that it sounds harsh, don't think bad of me. But honestly, I would get so overwhelmed and I felt that my plate was always full. This last year, although I was still quite busy, I felt as if I had more time for myself and I didn't feel bad telling people that I honestly couldn't do something. I hope to continue this goal throughout 2010 as well.