Monday, October 5, 2009

Smoky Streak - 5K in Webster, NC

I mentioned this in a previous post, but Saturday was the Smoky Streak 5K/10K that was hosted by WestCare Mammogram Department. They are trying to raise money to purchase new mammogram equipment. Matt and I decided that we would take part. We had a few friends who were also running/walking as well.
Saturday Morning was an early morning! We had to be down at the start/finish line at 8am to register. It was a lot colder than what I thought it was going to be, but I dressed warm. I believe it was about 42 degrees that morning.

We get there, we meet up with friends and make new friends in the process. The 10K started at 9am. The guy who won it finished before all of the 5K participants had been shuttled to the starting line! He finished in 32 minutes! Wow. I don’t believe I can ever do that!

I had told myself that I wasn’t going to set a goal. Because I figured that this race would be a cushion for the races to come. My second race I will just attempt to finish in a better time than this race. My goal being to beat my last race. This way I’ll feel more accomplished and I won’t be going out and hurting myself trying to finish in a specific amount of time.

I will say that I did set a goal. I knew that I would be walking most if not all of the race. But I wanted to complete the 3.1 miles in 40 minutes or less. Needless to say, I did not reach my goal. My finish time was 46.22. I was a little bummed but figured it was ok. I’ll do better next time.

Doesn't Matt look thrilled to be taking pictures before 8am. haha

My very first Race!

Matt's pink shoe laces.  He's such a man.
Just the girls. (Gayle, Katie, Clarissa, Me)  Tab was drinking her Muscle Milk and didn't want to be bothered with Flash Photography.

Group Picture.  We were supporting Kathy Ashe.
(Front Row: Lily, Katie, Gayle, Clarissa, Tabitha, Me
Back row: Jeff, Matt and Travis)

The Ashe's (Tabitha, Kathy, Clarissa, and Travis)

Waiting for the bus to shuttle us to the starting line.
(Clarissa, Gayle & Katie)

Running across the Finish Line!
(Katie, Gayle & Lily)

Jeff & Lily
My new friends.

Lily's cute little shirt.  It says "Find A Cure (Before I Grow Boobs)".  She is such a pleasant little girl!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 AM

    Great post Great Cause!!!!! I am super proud of you and Matt. I wish I had known about it and I would have joined in. Jordan my brother in law helped run the race!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! What a great cause! oh and I LOVE Lily's shirt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!